Newcomb's Farms, East Berne
I have just updated the Berne Farms, Natural History, and Outdoor Recreation page on Albany Hilltowns to include a lot more farms. Here is the current listing:
- Alpaca Shack Bob Rowe and family, Berne. - High quality, eco-friendly alpaca clothing. Visit the farm and pet the Alpacas.
- Beaver Dam Farms - Breeding Stock, registered Polled Herefords, feeder cattle, hay. Open year round, hours vary; 2032 Helderberg Trail, tel. (518) 872-0256.
- Busch Farm - Quality hay. Busch Ln. By appointment (518) 872-1664.
- Crosier's Sugar Barn - Open year round; Spring 7 days a week, Weekends rest of the year. Offering hay rides, maple tours, custom pig roasting, chicken barbecues, brush hogging and farm drainage work, firewood. 353 Filkins Hill Rd. Tel.(518) 872-2213.
- Elk Hill Winery - built by the Primiano Family, the only winery in the hill towns, is at 125 Prim Lane, off of Rte. 156 Berne, a couple of miles north of the hamlet of Berne. Call 518-872-2314 for directions.
- Ever Flowing Springs Farm - Grass fed beef. 73 Francis Rd. Open year round by appointment (518) 872-0426.
- Helderberg Alpacas 331 Saw Mill Road, East Berne, New York; phone number is (518) 872-9053. - Alpacas for sale, boarding, yarn and fiber for sale, farm visits.
- Mcauliffe's Mountain Farm - All natural meats and organic veggies. 60 Mountain View Ln., Tel. (518) 872-2041
- Morning Fog Farm - High Quality Food, Sustainable Farming Methods: Local, Naturally Raised Beef, Pork, and Chicken; Organic Produce; Organic Herbs; Farm Products; Unique Gifts. On-Farm store is open Friday 3 - 6 PM, Saturday 10 AM to 4 PM and always by appointment. We'll have: Beef, Pork, Chicken, Honey, Maple Syrup, Milk Soaps. 1207 Switzkill Rd., Berne. Please call us at (518) 872-1772 between 10am and 6pm Monday through Saturday for more information. We accept MasterCard and Visa. Email: email@example.com:
- Partridge Run Farm and Apiary, 484 Ravine Road, Berne, New York - Open daily for honey and related products (e.g., candles, soaps).
- Newcomb's Farms 1498 Thacher Park Road. - Farm stand open May-November 9am-8pm. and a Community Supported Agriculture program with fresh produce, fruit, local honey & syrup, flower greenhouse, hanging baskets, annual and perennial bedding plants, herbs and vegetable bedding plants. On Saturdays throughout the season home made pies & bread. A member of Local Harvest. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mountain Winds Farm - operated by Randy Grippen, sells all natural farm raised chicken and eggs, maple syrup. Email email@example.com
- R6 Livestock Co. - Cattle, hay. 1119 Switzkill Rd., Berne; Tel. (518) 872-0344
- Shale Hill Farm - Freezer beef, hay straw, fence stakes and firewood. 617 Cole Hill Rd.; Tel. (518) 872-2533
- Tim Lippert's Grass-fed Beef - Berne, to order Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the farm 518 797 3610
- Windy Hill Farm - Wool blankets, sheep skins. Call for location (518) 872-1386.
On the same page is a list of Berne cemeteries that are easy to visit.
I have also added places for something to eat
- Jersey's - an informal restaurant, Main St., East Berne; Tel. 872-9158.
- The Highlands Restaurant and Tavern - in an historic home with panoramic view, 1670 Berne Altamont Rd.; Tel. 872-1938.
- Maple Inn - a restaurant in an historic hotel at 64 Main Street, East Berne (off Rt. 443). Tel. 872-9433.
- Zwicklebauer's - a restaurant in an historic resort on the shore of Warners Lake at 141 Warners Lake Rd., East Berne. Tel. 872-1016 / 872-9912.
- Foxenkill Tavern - Fine dining restaurant and bar in historic building in park-like setting near the Foxenkill. Rte. 443 just west of West Berne. Tel. 872-1287.
- See also suggestions for something to eat in the nearby hill towns: