The photo to the right is of the 1929 Model T Ford called the "Village Queen", still the pride of the Berne Fire Dept.
A small building in Berne served many functions since it was built in the mid 19th Century:
- Law office of Edward Vincent Filkins, Esq.
- The Select School in 1882 of his daughter Carrie Filkins.
- Berne Post Office in the 1920's. The post master from 1915 - 1928 was Clarence Haverly, husband of Carrie Filkins.
- Berne Volunteer Fire Company was organized in 1929 it became the first fire house.
- It is now a private garage.
This photo is from about 1977 and was published in Our Heritage.