Tuesday, February 19, 2008

van Woert, Effner, Heligas, Stewart, Church, Beebe

What a week! After our computers got stolen over a week ago I switched to a laptop that the thieves missed. Then it got ¨corrupted¨ and I could no longer access the Internet. Finally this afternoon we got our stolen computers back. One was destroyed, as was one of the two monitors. Gracias a Dios (TG!) my computer still works and my genealogy records are intact. We paid off the police and the ¨Justice¨ department to get justice. Most of the things stolen are now in the hands of the police and we will never see them again. They say they were not recovered. The thieves are in jail for 6 or 7 years (still not sentenced).

Now for Berne genealogy:

  • From Cindi Christman: I understand that you are looking for further information on Jacob Schoenderwoert. I live in Oneonta, NY and have been comiling the family tree for my mother's side. Our history goes back to Jacob van Woert (shortened) who came here from the Albany area. What information do you have on him? Thanks, Cindi Christman
  • From my aunt Jerry Becker: We got a call this morning from Palmer and Shayler Funeral Home in Middleburg. They had gotten a call from a funeral home in Arizona about a woman who had died and wanted to be buried here. In her things they found reference to "West Hill Cemetary" and they decided they probably meant West Mt. Cemetary which is by the old Methodist Church. They are going to check with the funeral home out there again to see if they can get any more information. If it is in Berne that has to be the one. Her Grandparents are supposed to be buried there but there is no stone. She wants to be buried by or near them. The grandfathers name is Terry Effner and we wondered if in your research you have run across that name? I looked in the old cemetary yearbook I have (1945-47) and the name isn't there. He could well have died after that and no stone was ever put in. Mr. Coltrain from Middleburg wanted to know who took care of the cemetary and we told them the town highway men keep it mowed. Do you know of anyone who might have records of that cemetary?
  • From Julie Mooney: I think this is my family!!! I was researching;

    George Heligis ( this is the spelling used from circa 1860 in California) B: 1835 approx - in New York. And his son, Frank Jesse Heligis born in New York in 1858. I think this is a fit. And now, I am trying to find a marriage record of George, married approx 1856 to a Maria ( O’Hara, I suspect) somewhere in your area. She was from Ireland and I am sure they were married in a local church. George is a seaman on a ship in San Francisco in the 1860 census and his daughter Anna Heligis was born there in 1861 or 1864. San Francisco records are very sketchy due to the 1906 Earthquake and Fire. They also had two more sons George and John who died in an epidemic in 1868. So I think her father would be listed as John on any marriage record…or Francis…and I am sure she was catholic.

    I want to thank Harold Miller for sending this as it is the link I have been seeking….Thanks in advance for any leads you can provide.

    Julie
  • From my sister Marilyn:
    H. Delite Stewart
    WESTERLO - H. Delite Stewart, 85, of Westerlo, died at The Hospice Inn at St. Peter's Hospital in Albany, on April 27, 2001.
    She was born in Medusa on April 17, 1916, daughter of the late Harry and Grace (Kelsey) Mackey.
    She had worked as a rate adjuster, having retired on 1985 from Farm Family Insurance in Glenmont. She was a member of the First Baptist Church of Westerlo and the M.B. I. Guild.
    She is survived by husband, Philip Stewart; a daughter, JoAnn Garry of Albany; tow grandsons, Robert F. and Steven J. Garry; two great-grand=children, Hannah and Eve Garry; and two sisters Joyce Eufemia of New Port Richey, Fla. and Gene Smith of Medusa. Her Brother Donald Mackey died before her.
    Interment in the Westerlo Rural Cemetery will be at the convenience of the family. A memorial service will be held at a later date.
    Arrangements are by the Cunningham Funeral Home in Greenville.
    Memorial contributions may be made to the First Baptist Church of Westerlo Memorial Fund.

  • From Mark Traver via my brother Ralph: I have traced my genealogy back on the Church family from Schoharie County to Berne. I have tracked down many headstones, but was stuck on Simeon Church 8/11/1750-6/4/1841 and wife Theodora Beebe 6/6/1841. I knew that they were buried in the
    Jacob Dumond burial ground, could not find where it is located. The web-site says it is located on Miller Road just over the town line. My wife and I drove up and down Miller Road on Saturday, but found no
    obvious site. There was one area a third of the way in from Gifford Hollow Road on the left across the road from a house. There was a flag pole and a little memorial set-up. Do you have any knowledge of its
    precise location? Thanks Mark T
It will take me a day or two to research these requests.

No comments: